Re: [AUCTeX] have AUCTeX insert the encoding as local variable specifica

From: jfbu
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] have AUCTeX insert the encoding as local variable specification
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2014 09:39:06 +0100

Le 28/11/2014 21:18, Mosè Giordano a écrit :
Wrong!  latexenc package, shipped with GNU Emacs (don't know about
XEmacs), does exactly that.  [...]
    [...]
Bye,
Mosè

For people who could have fallen in the same
trap as myself (but these people will have
to be as antiquated as myself):

I had from many years back a customization of
    file-coding-system-alist
which assigned some default coding to .tex extension
(lately it was utf-8

Hence I never benefited from the
    latexenc-find-file-coding-system
which is the default configuration for .tex since
(if I got it right) GNU Emacs 22.

Makes me think that there could be a one-time-only
parsing of the .emacs and customization files when
a new Emacs major release is first executed by the
user, so as to signal possible mis-configuration.

I imagine this has been discussed already many
times by Emacs developers. As the .emacs file can
be shared among more than one Emacs (for example
on Mac OS X a GUI emacs and a /usr/bin/emacs) the
place where the emacs major version number is stored
should be chosen carefully.

My .emacs checks for emacs-major-version and loads
corresponding "init.el" and custom files,

Cheers,
Jean-François