Re: [AUCTeX] OT: Have a look at PDF Tools (new PDF viewer for Emacs)

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] OT: Have a look at PDF Tools (new PDF viewer for Emacs)
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2015 17:20:05 +0100

Tassilo Horn <address@hidden> writes:

> address@hidden (Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo) writes:
>
>>> E.g., `pdf-sync-correlate-pdf' would return a list (file line column
>>> search-regex) where the latter would only be used by `pdf-sync-goto-tex' if
>>> column is -1 (in the hope that some future SyncTeX version will eventually
>>> provide correct line numbers).
>>
>> According to the author of SyncTeX, it is the TeX engine the one that does
>> not
>> handle column positions, at least it was so in 2008 when he designed it:
>>
>> https://www.tug.org/TUGboat/tb29-3/tb93laurens.pdf
>
> Good to know.  Then I hope the TeX engine will evolve eventually.

Well, it does provide the column information in error messages.  But
there is no \inputcolumnno in analogy to \inputlineno.  This shortcoming
is the reason preview-latex derives its column information from error
messages.  The column information is not accessible at the TeX
programming layer.

--
David Kastrup