Re: [AUCTeX] (TeX-macro-global) vz (TeX-macro-private)

From: Mosè Giordano
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] (TeX-macro-global) vz (TeX-macro-private)
Date: Sat, 2 May 2015 20:33:13 +0200

Hi Jean-François,

> Emacs  : GNU Emacs 24.5.3 (x86_64-apple-darwin13.4.0, Carbon Version 157
> AppKit 1265.21)
>  of 2015-04-11 on Atago.local
> Package: 11.88.5
>  AUCTeX-date "2015-05-01"
>
> I have noticed that when I do
>
> C-h v TeX-macro-global
>
> it will call the function of the same name, thus resulting
> in a kpsewhich call
> kpsewhich --progname latex --expand-path
> $TEXMFHOME:$TEXMFMAIN:$TEXMFLOCAL:$TEXMFDIST
>
> (via I presume TeX-tree-expand from tex.el)
>
> (earlier TeX-tree-expand would have made 4 calls to kpsewhich; thanks again
> for having reduced it to only one)

The default value of `TeX-macro-global' is

    (TeX-macro-global)

which calls kpsewhich.

> On the other hand when I do
>
> C-h v TeX-macro-private
>
> there is no call to kpsewhich.
>
> I wonder whether the difference is deliberate (well,
> obviously it is) and what is the rationale.

Instead the default value of `TeX-macro-private' is

    (or (append (TeX-parse-path "TEXINPUTS")
        (TeX-parse-path "BIBINPUTS"))
    (TeX-macro-private))

If you have set the environment variables TEXINPUTS and BIBINPUTS, the
function `TeX-parse-path' will build the list of directories by simply
using those variables, without calling kpsewhich.

Bye,
Mosè