Re: [AUCTeX] "No connection to bus" message in Cygwin Emacs

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] "No connection to bus" message in Cygwin Emacs
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 2015 20:25:43 +0200

Sebastien Vauban <address@hidden>
writes:

Hi Seb,

> After opening a .tex file in Emacs, I got this when trying to compile
> the document to PDF :
>
> C-c C-c is undefined
> ad-handle-definition: `TeX-recenter-output-buffer' got redefined
> File mode specification error: (dbus-error "No connection to bus" :session)

It's a bit strange that the C-c C-c is undefined message comes before
the error.  Possibly there has been an earlier error which already broke
the initialization of `TeX-latex-mode' in that buffer.

> To make things clear, the same operation worked on almost the same LaTeX
> document 5 min earlier... Though, I don't understand what can explain
> the behavior change in the same Emacs session...

That's strange.

> Any tip on what I should do or report here?

If that's reproducible, try toggling debug-on-error before visiting that
file so that we know where the error occurs exactly.

> I've seen posts (from 2011) stating that such message should not be
> displayed anymore... See
> http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.auctex.devel/2585.  That makes
> me really wonder about what's the cause of the problem here...

Yes, indeed.  There's a predicate `TeX-evince-dbus-p' which should never
error and test if DBUS is available on the system and supported by
Emacs, and if the relevant Evince DBUS interfaces are available.

In case you can reproduce the issue, you could edebug that function to
see where the error occurs.

Bye,
Tassilo