Re: [AUCTeX] "No connection to bus" message in Cygwin Emacs

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] "No connection to bus" message in Cygwin Emacs
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2015 17:31:04 +0200

Sebastien Vauban <address@hidden> writes:

>> Nope, that's.  Emacs ships with tex-mode.el but that's a separate thing
>> from AUCTeX.  All AUCTeX functions start with TeX-* or LaTeX-* (case
>> matters) or font-latex-*.
>
> Yes, I know, but sometimes tend to forget about that peculiarity.
>
>     Note -- I've never understood why AUCTeX doesn't have a simpler
>     naming scheme, like functions beginning with the `auctex' prefix.
>     I guess many of us have been bit by this at least once...

Hysterical raisins. ;-)

>>> Note -- I'm using the ~/.emacs.d/elpa for both Emacs versions.
>>
>> You mean, the older cygwin emacs and the more recent windows version?
>
> No.
>
>> It could be the case that auctex has been compiled with the newer
>> version resulting in byte-code which is not completely compatible with
>> the older emacs version on cygwin.
>
> I meant: I've installed AUCTeX a couple of weeks ago, when I still
> used Windows Emacs (though, same version: 24.5.1).

Ah, so same versions.  I think the elc files should be platform-agnostic
but I'd try to recompile them with the cygwin emacs anyway to rule that
possibility out.

> Can it be a problem to install via the Windows Emacs, and reuse the
> MELPA files with the Cygwin Emacs (or reversed, BTW)?

As said, it shouldn't be a problem but who knows.  BTW, you use auctex
from GNU ELPA, not from MELPA (Milkman's ELPA), right?

>> cygwin bash from the directory containing the master file haie-ecm.tex?
>
> I was expecting a potential problem, but got a PDF as expected:

Very strange.  So the very same command issued by AUCTeX doesn't find
your tex master wheras it just works from the command line.  The only
thing that would explain things is that it's run from a wrong directory
in the AUCTeX case.

When you do `C-c C-c latex RET' followed by `C-c C-l' to switch to the
output buffer, what does `C-h v default-directory' return in there?  It
should be the directory containing haie-ecm.tex.

Bye,
Tassilo