Re: [AUCTeX] AUCTeX doesn't run bibtex

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] AUCTeX doesn't run bibtex
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2015 10:15:50 +0200

Egon Kidmose <address@hidden> writes:

> Spot on! - `C-c  C-n` (TeX-normal-mode)  fixed it :D
> Thanks a lot!
>
> Care to confirm if understand the issue correctly?
> 1) AUCTeX relies on the results of parsing the *.tex files for this to work.
> 2) In my case, the parsing was never done
> 3) `TeX-normal-mode` triggers the parsing and stores the result in ./auto
> 4) Restart emacs for unicorns and free candy everywhere!
>
> Regarding 2:
> Fixed it by adding this to .emacs.d :
>     (setq TeX-parse-self t) ; Enable parse on load.
>     (setq TeX-auto-save t) ; Enable parse on save.
> [ https://www.gnu.org/software/auctex/manual/auctex/Parsing-Files.html ]
>
> Any idea if it's problem on my end (my config/another mode interfering)?
> or is it the intended behavior that AUCTeX requires the above to be
> fully functional?
>
> If this is indeed the intention then I'd would think that changing the
> default of `TeX-parse-self` and `TeX-auto-save` to true would be a
> good idea:
> Things would work better out of the box, and those seeking performance
> improvement could actively disable them.

The out-of-the-box configuration of AUCTeX should be suitable as a
default for installations.  People not having any use for TeX files will
be less than enthused when accidentally opening one will cause a large
amount of files to be searched and possibly information being written to
disk.

It's not like the AUCTeX manual does not start off right with that
information.  So in general we expect people to find that before they
find the bug reporting instructions...

--
David Kastrup