[AUCTeX] pstricks and TeX-PDF-mode

From: Mandar Mitra
Subject: [AUCTeX] pstricks and TeX-PDF-mode
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2015 21:10:25 +0530

Hello,

I use xetex as my default TeX-engine, and it seems to handle pstricks without
any problems, but style/pstricks.el contains the following:

    780    (unless (member "pst-pdf" TeX-active-styles)
    781      (TeX-PDF-mode-off))

So whenever I use the pstricks package, I have to turn TeX-PDF-mode on by hand.
Would it be ok to change the above to:

(unless (or (member "pst-pdf" TeX-active-styles)
            (eq TeX-engine 'xetex))

Irrelevant aside: xelatex handles included eps, pdf and jpg images, UTF-8 text,
and as far as I can tell pstricks so much more easily than pdflatex. Are there
some downsides to it as well? I.e., is pdflatex better than xelatex at doing
anything?