Re: [AUCTeX] Some hints for editing tables

From: jfbu
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Some hints for editing tables
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2015 19:02:13 +0100

Le 19/11/2015 16:27, Marcin Borkowski a écrit :

> On 2015-11-19, at 09:36, jfbu <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Hi Mosè and Joost,
>>
>> Le 18 nov. 2015 à 23:52, Mosè Giordano <address@hidden> a écrit :
>>
>>> Hi Joost,

>>> Well, it was more a dream than a declaration of action, I'm not going
>>> to work on that ;-)   org has its own simple syntax for tables and it
>>> works very well, but editing real LaTeX tables requires much more
>>> attention, for example they can be split over lines (I don't think
>>> it's the case for org).
>>
>> I am going off-topic here, but it could be possible to address this
>> issue at the TeX level: I mean by this define a LaTeX environment for
>> tables which would use org-syntax. Thus you could have the goodies
>> you mention on the Emacs editing side, and the LaTeX compilation would
>> proceed directly.
>>
>> For example TeX allows at the inner core any choice of character for
>> tabulation in alignments, thus we could use | rather than &. Of course
>> higher level structures will perhaps really need a &, but then they
>> can be rewritten to work with |. (use of | as tabulation means one
>> has to address how to use it as standard character elsewhere)
>>
>> (for example the table in the screenshot provided by Joost can definitely
>> be analyzed at TeX macro level, if the goal is to produce simple centered
>> columns; I don't know how org says to use left or right aligned columns)
>>
>> I mention this as a theoretical possibility !
>
> You mean, something like this?
>
> http://ctan.org/pkg/tap

Hi,

thanks I didn't know that (Plain) package. (although I finally
found it in TeXLive, the tapdoc.tex documentation file needs
to be compiled, and texdoc tap yields many results but seemingly
nothing related to tap ... I found it on my local disk only
after having downloaded it from CTAN and compiled)

probably the answer is : "yes and no"

no, as it doesn't seem to have implemented in TeX/LaTeX the
org syntax for tables: if I am not mistaken tapdoc.pdf seems
to indicate that rows start with \B! and end with \E!

(at least it is what I see from the code samples given)

yes, as it seems to have a syntax of its own which appears
to be somewhat akin to the org syntax

best
Jean-François