Re: [AUCTeX] build of PDF Tools fails -- openSuse

From: Joost Kremers
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] build of PDF Tools fails -- openSuse
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2016 09:54:51 +0200

On Tue, Apr 19 2016, AW wrote:
> I'm still struggeling with the installation of PDF Tools. I'm using openSuse
> (Tumbleweed). When I try to install the pdf-tools package in Emacs via melpa,
> the process ends without the binary »epdinfo«.

IIRC epdfinfo isn't supposed to be built during the installation of the
package from Melpa. pdf-tools will try to build it the first time you
invoke `(pdf-tools-install)`, which should be called in your init file.

You can also try building epdfinfo from the command line, which may
provide more info when something goes wrong. In particular, you'll need
to make sure that the development packages of the libraries that
epdfinfo uses are installed. I don't know about SUSE, but on Debian and
derivatives these aren't installed automatically. The pdf-tools README
discusses this.

Other than that, without more detailed info / output it's difficult to
say what might be going wrong.

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments