Re: [AUCTeX] build of PDF Tools fails -- openSuse

From: AW
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] build of PDF Tools fails -- openSuse
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2016 10:01:58 +0200

Am Dienstag, 19. April 2016, 09:54:51 CEST schrieb Joost Kremers:
> On Tue, Apr 19 2016, AW wrote:
> > I'm still struggeling with the installation of PDF Tools. I'm using
> > openSuse (Tumbleweed). When I try to install the pdf-tools package in
> > Emacs via melpa, the process ends without the binary »epdinfo«.
>
> IIRC epdfinfo isn't supposed to be built during the installation of the
> package from Melpa. pdf-tools will try to build it the first time you
> invoke `(pdf-tools-install)`, which should be called in your init file.

and ended without the binary.

> You can also try building epdfinfo from the command line, which may
> provide more info when something goes wrong.

I downloaded the package from the website, as zip file as well as git and
compiled. Got everything except the pdf-tools-autoloads.el

> In particular, you'll need
> to make sure that the development packages of the libraries that
> epdfinfo uses are installed.

Yes, of course. I don't get any error message during build and despite the
different names of the packages I'm assuming that I installed all the
necessary packages.

> I don't know about SUSE, but on Debian and
> derivatives these aren't installed automatically. The pdf-tools README
> discusses this.
>
> Other than that, without more detailed info / output it's difficult to
> say what might be going wrong.

Thank you for your speedy answer. Maybe someone here on the list uses
openSuse...

Regards,

Alexander