Re: [AUCTeX] Embedded previews in high-DPI?

From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Embedded previews in high-DPI?
Date: Thu, 19 May 2016 08:31:28 +0900

> Feel free to work out a framework where rerendering for changed
> geometry (like for changing the size of a frame's default font)
> provides benefits for free operating systems and see how you can fit
> the specific problems of MacOSX into such a framework.

I think now you understand it is a bad idea to align high-DPI geometry
management of Emacs (or any applications) on OS X to those on other
platforms.

> It's imaginable to implement such on-demand rerendering with
> different resolution/size as a preview-latex-only component, but it
> certainly would make sense for Emacs' general image support.

> But as long as you are targeting MacOSX-only benefits, the GNU
> project is the wrong place to provide them.  That's one of the
> reasons that there are several separate feature-enhanced forks for
> Mac (I haven't kept track/count of them) and Windows that cater
> specifically for features only implemented on those platforms.

My patch provides a solution to some OS X-specific problem rather than
giving some OS X-only benefit which has some counterpart on free
platforms: the problem does not exist in the first place on other
platforms where high-DPI just means having many pixels without making
a physical monitor bigger (correct me if I'm wrong).  I believe
preview-latex users on other platforms are content with the current
output quality.

Hi-DPI model on OS X provides more aspects so it won't change overall
appearance in size on multiple environments that can change
dynamically, and such aspects are arguably specific to OS X GUI
framework.  Some GUI toolkits on free platforms may adopt similar idea
in some future, but Emacs on free platforms would not benefit from
them anytime soon because its geometry management relies on Xlib.

                                     YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
                                address@hidden