Re: [AUCTeX] raise-frame

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] raise-frame
Date: Tue, 31 May 2016 14:16:11 +0200

Mosè Giordano <address@hidden> writes:

>> Until now, I didn't receive replies on emacs-devel except for one
>> suggesting to use an external tool (wmctrl) for forcing emacs to get
>> the focus.  I'll wait a bit more but probably we might require some
>> customize option here because if Emacs gets focus seems to depend on
>> the window manager.  For me on Gnome, `raise-frame' works ok as I get
>> a notification which I can click to bring emacs to the front.  For
>> Carlos on XFCE, `x-focus-frame' works which doesn't work for me
>> unless I call it from a timer.
>
> In my Emacs configuration I use the raise-frame-client function
> suggested in the patch attached to
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-auctex/2013-04/msg00004.html
> that relies on wmctrl, but in my case (Debian) I had to manually
> install that utility because it wasn't there by default, so I don't
> think it's a good idea relying by default on such external tools that
> aren't likely to be available.

Yep, that's my opinion, too.  So currently I'd go with some
`TeX-raise-frame-function' which could either by `raise-frame',
`x-focus-frame', or `TeX-x-focus-frame' where the latter would call
`x-focus-frame' after a second (not sure what should be the default,
though).  But obviously I'd much prefer a solution that works across all
WMs and operating systems.

Bye,
Tassilo