Re: [AUCTeX] AUCTeX in Debian

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] AUCTeX in Debian
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2016 15:11:33 +0200

"Janusz S. Bien" <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Janusz,

> From the Debian site:
>
> ---
> 11.88-1.1: The package has not yet entered testing even though the  5-day
> delay
> is over.
>
> Excuse for auctex
>
> 623 days old (needed 5 days)
> auctex has new bugs!
> Updating auctex introduces new bugs: #768724
> Not considered
> ---
>
> What can be done to get 11.88 into testing?

GNU AUCTeX 11.88 is 2 years old now.  I really hope Debian won't be
distributing such an outdated version given that 11.89 is nearly one
year old already.

> I need TeX-command-extra-options.

Do yourself (and us as GNU AUCTeX maintainers) a favor and skip distro
packages in favor of GNU ELPA.  Debian testing ships Emacs 24.5 which
contains the Emacs package manager.

,----[ (info "(auctex)Installation") ]
| The simplest way of installing AUCTeX is by using the Emacs package
| manager integrated in Emacs 24 and greater (ELPA).  Simply do 'M-x
| package-list-packages RET', mark the auctex package for installation
| with 'i', and hit 'x' to execute the installation procedure.  That's
| all.
`----

Then you don't need any special configuration of load-path and friends
and it'll just work.  And in case you spot a major bug, we're gonna fix
it as soon as possible and simply release a new ELPA version which is a
very simple procedure compared to standalone releases.  The current ELPA
version is 11.89.5 containing many new features and tons of fixes
compared to 11.89 or even 11.88.

Bye,
Tassilo