Re: [AUCTeX] How to configure TeX special characters?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] How to configure TeX special characters?
Date: Mon, 01 May 2017 15:46:11 +0200

Marcin Borkowski <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> a friend of mine has this problem: he does not want $, & and % to have
> special meaning to (La)TeX, so he changes their catcodes to make them
> un-special; to retain the possibility of inputting math, typesetting
> tables and commenting out things, he assigns the respective catcodes to
> some Unicode\setminus ASCII characters.
>
> Putting aside the question whether it's a good idea (personally I don't
> like it very much, but I can see the rationale), how do I convince
> AUCTeX to take that into consideration when font-locking?  I tried to
> monkey-patch AUCTeX sources (for instance, I tried changing
> "\\$\\$\\([^$]+\\)\\$\\$" in font-latex-make-user-keywords into
> something like "〖\\([^$]+\\)〗", then even restarting Emacs
> altogether), but to no avail.

That would be a serious upstream battle.  Language-specific editing
support relies on assumptions.  That is one reason that LaTeX has
several editors catering to it pretty well while plain TeX (which does
not really provide much in the line of document structuring) doesn't.

I don't think that AUCTeX caters all that well for more serious breaches
of convention.

--
David Kastrup