Re: [AUCTeX] Repeat TeX-command-run-all without buffer change

From: Mosè Giordano
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Repeat TeX-command-run-all without buffer change
Date: Mon, 8 May 2017 20:06:00 +0200

Hi Thorsten,

> Hi Mosè,
>
> * Mosè Giordano: 06.05.2017 (17:39):
>
> [...]
>
>> If you believe that sometimes `TeX-command-default' fails to
>> detect a necessary command, please share this situation so that we can
>> improve its logic.
>
> thanks for your response, this is simple example for this situation,
> it's from the exsheets package. Change the points in the question
> environments and run TeX-command-run-all and see the value of
> \totalpoints, here I have to run it again to get the right value :-)
> BTW. with latexmk it works fine.
>

> \documentclass{article}
> \usepackage{exsheets}
> \usepackage[ngerman]{babel}
> \usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
>
> \begin{document}
>
> \begin{question}{50} % → change here
> \end{question}
>
> \begin{question}{50} % → change here
> \end{question}
>
> Here we need at least 3 LaTeX runs, \verb!TeX-command-run-all does not see
> this:!
> \totalpoints
> \end{document}

Thanks for the example.  AUCTeX reads the output buffer to decide
whether it needs to run LaTeX again.  Some packages emit warnings in
the log to suggest that LaTeX should be run again (only when really
necessary, otherwise would be useless), but here there is nothing that
can help AUCTeX.  Maybe ask this feature to the package author?

Regarding latexmk, it runs twice LaTeX on this simple document

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage[ngerman]{babel}
\begin{document}
Hello, world!
\end{document}

so probably doesn't do anything special with exsheets package.

Bye,
Mosè