Re: [AUCTeX] files with non-ascii characters and LaTeX as in TeXLive 201

From: Ikumi Keita
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] files with non-ascii characters and LaTeX as in TeXLive 2018
Date: Thu, 10 May 2018 15:14:43 +0900

Hi all,

> My current impression is that it would be fine to change
> TeX-command-list so that tex command issued explicitly by C-c C-c, C-c
> C-r and so becomes like
>     latex -interaction=nonstopmode FILENAME
> while internal call by preview-latex continues to use \input and
> incorporate \detokenize like
>       latex
> \nonstopmode\nofiles\PassOptionsToPackage{...}\AtBeginDocument{...} \input
> \detokenize{FILENAME}
> .
> How do others think about this idea?

I implemented the above idea in the attached patch.  It turned out that
we have to deal with the following two additional issues:
(1) The output of \message{...} also changed in TeXLive 2018.  If
non-ascii characters are in \message{...}, they are output in tokenized
form by default in TL 2018.  This makes partial typset, such as C-c C-r,
C-c C-s and so on, to fail to recognize the right file name when source
correlate mode is enabeld, so I inserted another \detokenize{} in
`TeX-quote-filename'.
(2) When preamble caching is enabled in preview-latex, the later runs of
latex to produce images must be in the form without \input.  In this
form, latex refuses to recognize the file name if \detokenize is
present.  Thus I had to modify `preview-undump-replacements' to strip
off not only \input but also \detokenize.

I confirmed that the attached patch works with both file name with a
non-ascii character and one with a space, with TL 2018 on freebsd and
w32.
I'd like all of you to test the patch extensively, please.

N.B.  The initial release of TeXLive 2018 lacks the file ".tex" [1],
which makes preview-latex to fail to dump format file when preamble
caching is enabled.  Running `tlmgr update --all' doesn't recover ".tex"
at the time of writing this paragraph, thus it seems that the latest TL
repositry still lacks ".tex".  You have to obtain ".tex", e.g. from TL
2017, and put it manually in order to use preamble caching in
preview-latex with TL 2018.

[1] https://github.com/latex3/latex2e/issues/30

Regards,
Ikumi Keita