Re: [AUCTeX] files with non-ascii characters and LaTeX as in TeXLive 201

From: jfbu
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] files with non-ascii characters and LaTeX as in TeXLive 2018
Date: Fri, 25 May 2018 09:36:54 +0200

Hi Keita

Le 25/05/2018 à 06:59, Ikumi Keita a écrit :
Hi Jean,

jfbu <address@hidden> writes:

(b.t.w. I also git cloned the savannah, and
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/auctex.git has a typo it should be
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/auctex.git
)

Ah, sorry.  The former URL is for usual web browsers, e.g. firefox.
That gives overview of the git repository, and more.  The git repository
address for the command "git" is listed on the page:
git://git.savannah.gnu.org/auctex.git
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/auctex.git
ssh://git.savannah.gnu.org:/srv/git/auctex.git

(the last one requires suitable account on savannah, I think)

my bad, of course that is what happened the link you gave brought
me to web page and there I spotted URL to use in git

(my volatile memory re-boots every 30 minutes)

My testing so far indicates no problem on Mac OS X 10.9.5

I was intrigued by these changes related to quotes, but it turns out
when I had tried manually on the command line that I was not quoting
correctly.

With your patch on top of 12.1.0 I successfully generate preview for a file
with both spaces and utf-8 characters.

Thank you for checking.  Now I can be more confident.

I did not check the ini file because it is volatile but I think you
indicated how to modify cache-preamble to make it permanent.

Though I didn't write the way explicitly, it's relatively easy.  Change
the last part of `preview-cache-preamble' in preview.el as:

                         (preview-format-kill ',format-cons))
                      ; (delete-file ',dump-file) ;; comment out
) ;; leave this close paren
                   (error (preview-log-error err "Dumping" process)))
                 (preview-reraise-error process)))))))

Thanks a lot, I will keep this for reference.

A proposito, the above in the pdflatex command (once the format
is done)means \input will be with extra spaces

\input{<space>"test my látéx.tex"<space>}

but fortunately that works fine.

These spaces are intentional so that w32 shell quoting style would not
interfere with other quote chars.  It seems that consequtive quote chars
are interpreted differently on w32.

Thanks for the precise info, I have no knowledge of Windows.

Anyway, all seems fine!

Marvelous!

TeX-region-create

and surely what happens is that Keita has a patch of the

\\message in there

but it was not included in the one I tested

Yes.  More precisely, the required fix is injected in
`TeX-quote-filename' rather than `TeX-region-create'.  On my side, the
given example runs without error.
If you want to try it out for yourself, extract the relavant part from
"tentative-patch2" attached in my previous message
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/auctex-devel/2018-05/msg00024.html
.  (But note that "tentative-patch2" as a whole has not been finished
yet and cannot typeset file name with space.)

Confirmed, it all works fine, no problem with generate preview at point, now.

Although I may have altered your work
unintentionally I am joining a patch which combines the two patches
of yesterday. It is set-up to be used directly in an
.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-12.1.1/
repertory (and one byte-recompiles afterwards) for people who want
to mess their installs at their own risks.

By the way, I have various things to do for 2-3 days, including my hobby
:-), my next post will be after that.

I too feel like I deserve a nice vacation :-)

Best,

Jean-François