Re: [AUCTeX] composed characters in LaTeX source code

From: Joost Kremers
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] composed characters in LaTeX source code
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2018 21:48:34 +0100

On Thu, Nov 08, 2018 at 09:08:51PM +0100, Stephen Berman wrote:
> Thanks.  I ran it through XeLaTeX and that indeed output the composed
> character correctly aligned, though the vertical positioning looks worse
> to me than with pdflatex (see attached screenshots; text0.pdf is with
> pdflatex and text1.pdf with xelatex).

That may be a font issue. My preferred font is Linux Libertine, and as you can
see in the attached image, things look a bit different: the accents on b are
shifted slightly to the right so that they do not cross the ascender of the b.
Compare with p, where the accents are placed more centrally over the letter.

This is the file that produces the attached output:

\documentclass[page=a4]{scrartcl}

\usepackage{fontspec}
\setmainfont[Mapping=tex-text]{Linux Libertine O}
\setsansfont[Mapping=tex-text]{Linux Biolinum O}

\begin{document}

b̃a b̂a

p̃a p̂a

\end{document}

%%% Local Variables:
%%% mode: latex
%%% TeX-master: t
%%% End:

> Also, to make this AUCTeX-related, after setting LaTeX-command to
> xelatex and typing C-c C-c in the test1.tex buffer, the compilation
> failed with the uninformative message "LaTeX: problems after [0] pages"
> and no log output.  But running xelatex from the shell worked fine.  Is
> there something else necessary to use XeLaTeX in AUCTeX?

Have you checked the output of the TeX command with `C-c C-l` to see if there's
a more informative message? I've been using XeLaTeX for so long that I don't
remember if there's anything special I needed to configure. All I know is that
I have `TeX-engine` set to `xetex`.

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments