Re: missing bash in /usr/bin seems to cause auctex to break on buffer in

From: jfbu
Subject: Re: missing bash in /usr/bin seems to cause auctex to break on buffer initialization
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2020 13:39:34 +0200

Hi Tassilo,

Le 26/06/2020 à 21:59, jfbu a écrit :
> Hi Tassilo,
>
> Le 26/06/2020 à 21:00, Tassilo Horn a écrit :
>> jfbu <jfbu@free.fr> writes:
>>
>> Hi Jean-François,
>>
>>> On trying to open any .tex file I hit against
>>>
>>> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (file-error "Searching for program" "Aucun
>>> fichier ou dossier de ce type" "/usr/bin/bash")
>>>    call-process("/usr/bin/bash" nil t nil "-c" "atril --help")
>>>    apply(call-process "/usr/bin/bash" nil t nil ("-c" "atril --help"))
>>>    process-file("/usr/bin/bash" nil t nil "-c" "atril --help")
>>>    shell-command-to-string("atril --help")
>>>    TeX-view-program-select-evince("mate" "atril")
>>>
>>> And indeed I et donc il veut parfois utiliser /usr/bin/bash
et donc il veut parfois utiliser /usr/bin/bash
don't have /usr/bin/bash but I see only /bin/bash

>> This has nothing to do with AUCTeX but it seems that your emacs has a
>> wrong `shell-file-name'.  The docs state:

>> shell-file-name is a variable defined in ‘C source code’.
>> Its value is "/usr/bin/fish"
>> Original value was "/bin/bash"
>>
>> Documentation:
>> File name to load inferior shells from.
>> Initialized from the SHELL environment variable, or to a system-dependent
>> default if SHELL is unset.  See Info node ‘(elisp)Security Considerations’.
>>
>> As far as I can see in Emacs's callproc.c, the default value for
>> `shell-file-naet donc il veut parfois utiliser /usr/bin/bash
me' is the value of the SHELL environment variable or
>> /bin/sh if SHELL is not set.  So I would conclude that either your SHELL
>> environment variable is already wrong or that `shell-file-name' is
>> explicitly set in your ~/.emacs (or somewhere else that gets loaded).
>>

> Thanks !
>
> I can confirm `shell-file-name' is nowhere set
> explicitly in my .emacs or other loaded files.
>
> I have an ssh (no X-forwarding) access only
> which does not connect me to the same set-up
> but one with
>
> $ echo $SHELL
> /usr/bin/bash
>
> $ which -a bash
> /bin/bash
> /usr/bin/bash
>
> As I reported however /usr/bin/bash is missing
> in my real life environment.
>
> (in the above one I can
> only use emacs 23 in non gui mode and it gave
>
> shell-file-name is a variable defined in `C source code'.
> Its value is "/usr/bin/bash"
> )
>
> I checked I did not set SHELL in any .profile, .bash_profile, .bashrc
>
> I need to confirm when possible physically that your
> guess is correct that SHELL is set to /usr/bin/bash
> and report to admin if that is the case as this is
> clearly a problem if /usr/bin/bash has gone missing
>
> Thanks for great help !
>
> Jean-François

It does appear I am on a broken system where GNU Emacs 25.2 Debian
was compiled with SHELL being set to /usr/bin/bash but in the
end I don't have a /usr/bin/bash but only /bin/bash

I asked admin to possibly create /usr/bin/bash as a symlink

Jean-François