Re: pstricks style

From: Jean-Jacques Rétorré
Subject: Re: pstricks style
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2020 19:23:37 +0200

jeu. 30 juil. 2020,  Ikumi Keita <ikumi@ikumi.que.jp> disait :

>> jeu. 30 juil. 2020,  Ikumi Keita <ikumi@ikumi.que.jp> disait :
>>> Thanks for reporting this issue. Do you think it's reasonable to replace
>>> that (TeX-PDF-mode-off) in pstrickes.el with just (setq TeX-PDF-from-DVI
>>> "Dvips") and let the user to determine the value of TeX-PDF-mode? (I
>>> don't have experience with PSTricks, so I'd like to ask someone with
>>> suitable knowledge about this.)
>
>> I just replaced
>> (TeX-PDF mode disabled)
>> with
>
>> (setq TeX-PDF-de-DVI "Dvips"
>>       TeX-PDF-mode 1)
>> (message "TeX-PDF-mode on, TeX-PDF-from-DVI: Dvips")
>
>> Looks good, but it will be overwritten by an AUCTeX update
>
> Thank you for your confirmation. I don't think it's a good idea to turn
> on TeX-PDF-mode unconditionally. AUCTeX should honor each user's choice.
>
> The current code
>    (unless (or (member "pst-pdf" TeX-active-styles)
>              (eq TeX-engine 'xetex))
>      (TeX-PDF-mode-off))
> usually turns off TeX-pdf-mode and I guess there are many users who
> depends on, or expect, that behavior because it has been so so long
> time.
>
> So I think we have two approaches:
> (1) Conservative approach
>     Keep (TeX-PDF-mode-off) and add (setq TeX-PDF-from-DVI "Dvips"):
>    (unless (or (member "pst-pdf" TeX-active-styles)
>              (eq TeX-engine 'xetex))
>      (TeX-PDF-mode-off)
>      (setq TeX-PDF-from-DVI "Dvips"))
>
>     In this case, you can achieve your aim by adding an explicit
>     entry
>     TeX-PDF-mode: t
>     in the File Local Variables section of the file which uses
>     PSTricks, because TeX-PDF-mode-off honor such explicit
>     specification.
>
> (2) Aggresive approach
>     Remove (TeX-PDF-mode-off) and add (setq TeX-PDF-from-DVI "Dvips"):
>    (unless (or (member "pst-pdf" TeX-active-styles)
>              (eq TeX-engine 'xetex))
>      (setq TeX-PDF-from-DVI "Dvips"))
>
>     If most of the users of PSTricks wants to have pdf output via
>     dvips+ps2pdf by default on contrary to my guess, this approach would
>     be reasonable.
>     In this case, users who prefer dvi output should add
>     TeX-PDF-mode: nil
>     in the File Local Variables section, or customize the global value
>     of TeX-PDF-mode to nil.
>
> What do you (plural) think about these ideas? I'd like to hear comments
> and suggestions from not only Jean but also anyone interested in this
> issue.
>
> Regards,
> Ikumi Keita

I think most of nowadays AUCTeX users
wants to have pdf output since Emacs can display it.
For my own, if would use the aggressive approach (2)..

I would just add a message to inform about the configuration because it
is not obvious that we can compile a pstricks document in mode
pdf without changing the package declarations.

Regards,
--
JJR.