Re: Why does a `standalone` document set `TeX-PDF-from-DVI`?

From: Arash Esbati
Subject: Re: Why does a `standalone` document set `TeX-PDF-from-DVI`?
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2021 22:48:25 +0100

Hi Maximilian,

Maximilian Wuttke <mwuttke97@posteo.de> writes:

> After a bit of debugging (using `(debug-on-variable-change
> 'TeX-PDF-from-DVI)`) and reading disassembled elisp code, I have found
> the source code where the variable `TeX-PDF-from-DVI` is set:
>
> ~~~ style/pstricks.el
> 782 (TeX-add-style-hook
> 783  "pstricks"
> 784  (lambda ()
> 785    (unless (or (member "pst-pdf" TeX-active-styles)
> 786                (eq TeX-engine 'xetex))
> 787      ;; Leave at user's choice whether to disable `TeX-PDF-mode' or
> 788      ;; not. Instead set up `TeX-PDF-from-DVI' option so that AUCTeX
> 789      ;; takes dvips+ps2pdf route when `TeX-PDF-mode' is enabled.
> 790      ;; (TeX-PDF-mode-off)
> 791      (setq TeX-PDF-from-DVI "Dvips"))
> ~~~
>
> I think the comment is with regard to a patch. Previously,
> TeX-PDF-mode-off was set, but a patch just set `TeX-PDF-from-DVI`.
>
> However, I still find it weird that the variable is set at all. I don't
> use `pstricks`, but the `standalone` package seems to load this package.

I can't reproduce this either.  AUCTeX doesn't have a style for
standalone package, hence the problem must be somewhere else.  Can you
please start Emacs with the minimal config you described in your other
message, load the .tex file and hit immediately `C-h e'?  Check the
files AUCTeX loads, maybe that gives you an idea where to look.

Best, Arash