Re: wrong-type-argument stringp nil

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: wrong-type-argument stringp nil
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2021 14:32:03 +0100

Denis Bitouzé <denis.bitouze@univ-littoral.fr> writes:

>> Hey, I can now reproduce the problem simply by finding the file,
>> killing the buffer, finding it again, etc.  After a few times, I get
>> the error.
>
> Please drop this random function in your `init.el` file! ;)

No, the problem is that the regexp which gets built for parsing the
buffer inceases in size and eventually ends up having more than 255
groups in it.  That's the maximum supported by emacs.  If you have more,
you won't get an error but it simply won't work anymore, i.e., if the
256th group matches and you call (match-beginning 256), you'll get nil.

So basically what we are seeing here is a result of your "use and enable
any latex package on earth" test file.  But maybe I can do something
about it as it seems that there might be some duplicate entries.  (Of
course, you'll still be able to break it again by using more even
styles.)

Bye,
Tassilo