Auctex persistent problems not recognizing master file

From: David Denton
Subject: Auctex persistent problems not recognizing master file
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2021 10:06:43 -0400

I have been having persistent and incredibly annoying problems with Auctex recognizing remembering my master document file using emacs and doom-emacs. It was working well for a long time, but then something broke and I have no idea what.

Here is my set up:

I have a file named main.tex in the top level of the folder which "includes" chapter files located in a /chapters sub-folder.

I can compile from the main document but not from the included files. I am using latexmk to compile but the issue is the same with calling pdflatex directly. When I try to compile from an included file, I get a bunch of errors, basically telling me that it did not find \begin{document.

My individual chapter files identify the master as follows:

%%% Local Variables:
%%%mode: latex
%%%TeX-master: "../main"
%%% End:

My master (main) file is identified in this manner:

%%% Local Variables:
%%% mode: latex
%%% TeX-master: t
%%% End:

However, if I delete the local variables from the chapter file and save it and then do C-c _ again to set the master file again, it will compile properly and I have access to reftex but not to all of theĀ  macros and environments for the whole document. However, this only works for the current session. Whenever, I return, I have to remove and then re-add the local variables, which is ridiculous.

Currently, I am using Doom-Emacs (doom 2.09, with emacs 26.3). With my doom installation, my Auctex version is 13.0.5.2021-03-25.

My config.el in doom includes:

(setq TeX-auto-save t)
(setq TeX-parse-self t)
;; (setq-default TeX-master nil) ; Query for master file.
(setq-default TeX-master "main") ; All master files called "master"
;;(setq-default TeX-master "../main") ; All master files called "master"

But I have tried all combinations and it doesn't work. Is it possible that this is a new Auctex bug, or am I really doing something wrong here?

I would happily just compile from my "main" file, but then I don't have access to any of the reftex, macro or environment info for the whole document.

It just shouldn't be so complicated to identify a master document with included files. Everything works superbly in Sublime Text with LatexTools and in TexStudio, but I happen to really like Auctex and Reftex. The fact that I am using org-mode makes me want to stick with emacs / doom-emacs for all of my LaTeX work if possible.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.