Re: Auctex persistent problems not recognizing master file

From: Ikumi Keita
Subject: Re: Auctex persistent problems not recognizing master file
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2021 23:15:45 +0900

> In order to use Doom-Emacs with Auctex you have to uncomment "latex"
> in the init.el file in the .doom.d folder. Then, you must run "doom
> sync" in a terminal. It will install Auctex properly.

Thanks, now I can use AUCTeX in doom emacs. Then I experience behavior
similar as you. Now both `TeX-master' and `file-local-variables-alist'
lack local value.

> As you are using Emacs 27.2 your packages may not be the same as mine.
> With Emacs 26.3 Doom currently loads Auctex 13.0.5. If Doom installs
> Auctex 13.0.5 for you, you may be able to test whether this version is
> what is causing the problem.

The value of `AUCTeX-version' is "13.0.5.2021-03-25".

> On 2021-04-06 10:44 a.m., Joost Kremers wrote:
>> What is the value of the variables `enable-local-variables`,

This is different for me. I have
:safe
for its value.

>> What is the value of `TeX-master` and `file-local-variables-alist`
>> after you do `M-: (hack-local-variables 'no-mode) RET`?

> Not sure about this. I did M-: (hack-local-variables 'no-mode) RET and
> got (match required)

This is different as well. I didn't get such message and it evaluated to
nil.

> Then I tied this with eval-expression and I got: nil. After, I check
> the variable values and got:

> t, nil

The former is different, too. I have now "../main" as the value of
`TeX-master', while `file-local-variables-alist' still remains nil
without local value.

> My problem does not appear to be with Doom as exactly the same issue
> existed for me before I installed it.

I began to suppose that some package(s) you and doom are commonly using
is (are) incompatible with AUCTeX with respect to the way to handle file
local variables. However, it's mystery to me which packages, if any,
have such incompatibility...

Regards,
Ikumi Keita