On the usage and function of TeX-auto-generate-global and TeX-auto-globa

From: Hongyi Zhao
Subject: On the usage and function of TeX-auto-generate-global and TeX-auto-global.
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2021 11:10:55 +0800

On Ubuntu 20.04, I'm using texlive 2021, git master Emacs and auctex.
I noticed the variable `TeX-auto-global' and relative command
`TeX-auto-generate-global' defined in auctex. According to my
understanding, the `TeX-auto-global' variable setting is intending to
set the file's store location of the comprehensive macro and variable
hint lisp files, and the command `TeX-auto-generate-global' is for
generating the comprehensive macro and variable hint lisp files. So, I
tried with the following testing/configuration/operation.

The `TeX-auto-global' variable is set by:

(setq TeX-auto-global "~/.local/var/auctex/")

Then, in Emacs, run the following command:

M-x TeX-auto-generate-global RET

This way, the above command won't need root privilege. But based on my
later tries, it seems that there is no need to run the above command
at all, and auctex already can give wonderful and rather extensive
completion results with its initial configuration. To be frank, I'm
still not sure on the usage and function of TeX-auto-generate-global
and TeX-auto-global [1].

Any hints will be highly appreciated.

[1] I've posted my confusion on
<https://github.com/raxod502/straight.el/issues/802#issuecomment-863726482>,
but considering that here is the appropriate list for such issues, so
I repost it here.

Regards
Theory and Simulation of Materials
NO. 552 North Gangtie Road, Xingtai, China