autoconf-archive-maintainers

Re: Automatic set-serial?

From: Peter Simons
Subject: Re: Automatic set-serial?
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2010 12:50:50 +0100

Hi Reuben,

 >> The disadvantage of relying on the commit hook is that administrators
 >> must remember to activate that hook in their local check-outs before
 >> committing.
 >
 > Which means that it would still have to be run somewhere else, so why not
 > run it periodically somewhere else and commit the result, from a sort of
 > robo-repository?

that is certainly a feasible solution. We already have a robo repository (I
love that term) that generates the daily commit notifications. I could just
as well run set-serial.sh in that repository, too. My guess is that these
automatic commits would occur rarely, because most of the times people do
remember to bump #serial when a macro is modified. Anyway, in case someone
forgets, it's nice to have that kind of automatism.

 > How about adding set-serial to the maintainer-all target, and then
 > running a pre-receive hook on the master repository which runs the same
 > code and checks that nothing changes as a result; if it does, it can
 > raise an error telling the developer to make maintainer-all.

Yes, that's definitely the best solution. I don't know how easy it is to get
such a hook installed on the Savannah server, but I reckon that it would be
possible.

Take care,
Peter

P.S.: By the way, merry Christmas everyone! :-)