autoconf-maintainers

[gnu.org #702717] Nicolai Stange AUTOMAKE, AUTOCONF, and LIBTOOL Assignm

From: Donald R Robertson III via RT
Subject: [gnu.org #702717] Nicolai Stange AUTOMAKE, AUTOCONF, and LIBTOOL Assignment
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 11:27:54 -0400

Hello,

> address@hidden - Thu Jul 28 10:04:23 2011]:
>
> Dear Sir or Madam,
>
> i'm very sorry, but in my first mail, I forgot to include one file into
> my answer to "Did you copy any files or text written by someone else in
> these changes?". You'll find the corrected version attached.
>
> I'm really sorry for any inconveniences this might cause at your side...

No worries. That information is just for the maintainers. I'm not actually sure
how many maintainers use
the info, and if someone leaves it blank, that's perfectly fine.

I am going to go ahead and make you assignment forms for all three packages
that you are interested in.
Assigning on past and future changes is the norm, and I will send you forms
that will allow you to continue
to contribute to your packages.

As for your employer, I have included in text at the bottom of this email a
disclaimer form for them to
fill out and sign. Thanks so much for contributing, and I hope to hear from you
soon.

--
Sincerely,

Donald R. Robertson, III, J.D.
Assignment Administrator
Free Software Foundation
51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor
Boston, MA 02110
Phone +1-617-542-5942
Fax +1-617-542-2652

---

If you are employed to do programming (even at a university), or have
made an agreement with your employer or school saying it owns programs
you write, then you and we need a signed piece of paper from your
employer disclaiming rights to the program.

Here is a disclaimer your employer can sign to cover your future
changes to GNU software, as well as your past changes.

The disclaimer should be signed by a vice president or general manager
of the company.  If you can't get at them, anyone else authorized to
issue licenses for software produced there will do.

Much of this disclaimer consists of a description of which kinds of
work it applies to.  This description is just a suggestion--your
employer can replace it with any description that says clearly which
kinds of work they want to disclaim and which kinds they don't.
Paragraph (b) is optional; they can delete it if they wish.

If your employer says they do have a claim that could conflict with
the use of the program, then please put us in touch with a suitable
representative of the company, so that we can negotiate what to do
about it.  Send a note about the issue to the company representative
and to address@hidden

IMPORTANT: When you talk to your employer, *no matter what
instructions they have given you*, don't fail to show them the sample
disclaimer below, or a disclaimer with the details filled in for your
specific case.  Companies are usually willing to sign a disclaimer
without any fuss.  If you make your request less specific, you may
cloud the issue and cause a long and unnecessary delay.

Please keep a copy of the employer's signed disclaimer, and snail the
original to us at

Attn:

Assignment Administrator
Free Software foundation
51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor
Boston, MA 02110

                   EMPLOYER DISCLAIMER OF RIGHTS

   We agree that software and other authored works of the 'Released
Category' (defined below), made by our employee/consultant,
_______________________, prior to the date of this document, and for
_____ years thereafter, are freely assignable by said
employee/consultant to Free Software Foundation (FSF) for distribution
and sharing under its free software policies.  We disclaim any status
as the author or owner of such works; we do not consider them as works
made for hire for us.

   The Released Category comprises

(a) changes and enhancements to software already (as of the time such
change or enhancement is made) freely circulating under stated terms
permitting public redistribution, whether in the public domain, or
under the FSF's GNU General Public License, or under the FSF's GNU
Lesser General Public License (a.k.a. the GNU Library General Public
License), or under other such terms; and

(b) operating system components for operating systems providing
substantially the same functionality as portions of UNIX, BSD,
Microsoft Windows, or other popular operating systems.

The Released Category excludes ______________________ [if 'none',
please so state; thank you--FSF].

   We affirm that we will do nothing in the future to undermine this
release.  If we have or acquire hereafter any patent or interface
copyright or other proprietary interest dominating the works, or
the programs to which these works constitute changes and enhancements,
or use of those programs, then the Free Software Foundation and the
general public will be permanently and irrevocably licensed to use,
in these works and in the programs they enhance, without royalty or
limitation, the subject matter of the dominating interest.

   We make no warranty as to the quality of the material or as to
the presence or absence of rights therein of any other party, and we
do not purport to disclaim, release or grant any rights other than our
own.

   Given as a sealed instrument this ___ day of ______, 20__.

        ___________________________ (please print your name)