Re: AC_CHECK_FILE and cross-compilation

From: Peter Eisentraut
Subject: Re: AC_CHECK_FILE and cross-compilation
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 13:01:18 +0200 (CEST)

Akim Demaille writes:

> Peter> Why can't I use AC_CHECK_FILE when cross-compiling?  If I need
> Peter> to look for a file that is used during the build then that has
> Peter> nothing to do with what the compiler does.
>
> Then just don't use it :)  I don't understand the existence of this
> macro, it seems an error to me.  If you're looking for some files,
> you'd better do that at runtime.

The macro seems fine in concept, there's nothing wrong with looking for a
file while building.  (Heck, header files and programs are just files,
no?)

For example, I need to find the modular DocBook stylesheets to build the
documentation of a package.  The found file will be passed on the command
line to jade.  Now this macros tells me that I can't build my
documentation when I'm cross-compiling?  I don't think so.

I think you should just remove the cross check from the macro and perhaps
make a point in the documentation to remind users to check for build
system not host system features.  I'd be happy to write this up.

--
Peter Eisentraut      address@hidden       http://yi.org/peter-e/