Re: AC_PROG_CC not working

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: AC_PROG_CC not working
Date: 10 Oct 2000 12:35:35 +0200

Alexandre> On Oct 9, 2000, Akim Demaille <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Currently I can't think of any good one.  In addition, I now think
>> it is now feasible to merge *_CPP in *_CC as I first thought, not
>> without revamping a lot of code which is a big no before 2.50.

Alexandre> How hard do you think it would be to allow for AC_REQUIRE
Alexandre> to accept arguments for the macro to be called?

I shouldn't be too hard, but it must be done very carefully because a
lot of the future of Autoconf will depend on this feature.  Hence I'm
not in favor of doing this now (2.50).

Nevertheless we can imagine a system similar to that of
AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR and its DEFAULT partner: when AC_PROG_CC is called,
it requires _AC_PROG_CC_COMPILERS which defines the list of compilers
to check for.  Then AC_PROG_CPP could use this list.

Still, I realize I have not really understood what's going on:
AC_PROG_CC does not require AC_PROG_CPP, on the contrary, it says it
must be run before AC_PROG_CPP.

I'm trying to understand what's going on, and will call you back :)