Re: AC_PROG_CC not working

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: AC_PROG_CC not working
Date: 10 Oct 2000 18:39:32 +0200

>>>>> "Pavel" == Pavel Roskin <address@hidden> writes:

Akim> I think we will never stop having problem with this feature :(

Pavel> Don't be pessimistic. We haven't tried it hard yet.

You're not a Jedi yet, soon you'll be attracted by the dark side.
Then you'll be a real Autoconf maintainer :)

>> Very architecture depend issues, such as find *the* compiler, will
>> probably never be properly handled by Autoconf.  It is the
>> installer which has the best knowledge, and it is her that should
>> pass to configure the right values.

Pavel> Let's say it differently. Autoconf cannot guess your intentions
Pavel> or the policy of your company, but it can (or or should be able
Pavel> to) be told about them using site-specific and package-specific
Pavel> tweaks.

Pavel> The question is whether some package-specific tweaks can be
Pavel> dropped in favor of site-specific tweaks.

That's a very accurate summary of the point.

Pavel> But still I don't feel good about dropping an existing feature.

Rest reassured: I'm criticizing this feature, because I'm tired of
having more constraints to deal with in Autoconf, but I didn't mean I
was about to get rid of it.