FreeBSD and QNX - first results

From: Pavel Roskin
Subject: FreeBSD and QNX - first results
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 02:18:19 -0400 (EDT)

Hello!

One thing was broken recently:

/bin/sh -n autoconf

doesn't work on FreeBSD and QNX if autoconf is not in the current
directory. This patch should probably be reverted, at least partially:

2000-10-23  Akim Demaille  <address@hidden>

        * tests/tools.m4: Globally, don't use `../' to invoke the tested
        tools, since the PATH is properly set, and in most cases it
        obfuscates the test code.

Also FreeBSD comes with its own sed that doesn't work with autoupdate. I
think we should change autoupdate to use perl instead of relying on GNU
sed. By the way, that "\b" seems to be undocumented - "info sed" for
sed-3.02 says nothing about it.

It should be fair to require perl - it is already required by autoscan, it
eliminates the need of having two sed's (not everybody will replace
/bin/sed) and it simplifies the dependencies between GNU utilities (thus
eliminating some confusion).

The testsuite is supposed to ignore the failures caused by a non-GNU sed
but it probably doesn't (I haven't investigated it yet).

On the positive side, I could configure CVS Autoconf on QNX 6.0 without
any problems. All the makefiles are created. I haven't tried older
versions of QNX - there is enough work with 6.0.

Regards,
Pavel Roskin