Re: Success (mostly) with the testsuite

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: Success (mostly) with the testsuite
Date: 25 Oct 2000 15:35:10 +0200

>>>>> "Daniele" == Daniele Arena <address@hidden> writes:

Daniele> This is a nice question. Thanks for asking.:) I'll put aside
Daniele> my personal considerations, and advocate the cause of BSDI
Daniele> 3.1 .

Arg, sorry, I was lost again, thinking the failure was observed on QNX
something.  In fact the recent change I made to enhance config.log
maybe useful in config.status too: plenty of data on the machine.

Nah, that's really the point of config.log.  I should just ask for
config.log too :)

Anyway...

Daniele> That actually brings a "philosophical" question I always
Daniele> wanted to ask to GNU people (RMS, are you there?:); and that
Daniele> is, how far goes the support for oldish OSs in GNU packages?

Quite far.  BSDI 3.1 is a target we aim at, we still support even
older systems.

Daniele> (More so in a "key" package like autoconf). Is there a list
Daniele> of obsoleted OSs for which you do not grant functionality?

Nope, but it might happen in the future.  Currently, but for very rare
cases, there is no reason for Autoconf not to provide better support.

Daniele> I had no problem until now. I hadn't compiled textutils until
Daniele> 20 minutes ago, but now I did and it all went smoothly.

That's a clear sign we have to maintain your architecture alive :)

Akim