Re: AC_INIT(ac_unique_file)

From: Lars J. Aas
Subject: Re: AC_INIT(ac_unique_file)
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2000 20:18:14 +0100

On Thu, Nov 02, 2000 at 02:07:43PM -0500, Pavel Roskin wrote:
: Hello, Lars!
: > I think autoconf ought to warn the maintainer if $ac_unique_file
: > (the AC_INIT argument) isn't found when run.  Any reason it shouldn't?
:
: It warns when "configure" is run, but not when "autoconf" is run.
:
: $ cat configure.in
: AC_INIT(abc)
: AC_OUTPUT
: $ autoconf
: $ ./configure
: configure:508: error: cannot find sources in . or ..
: configure: error: cannot find sources in . or ..
:
: Are you suggesting that "autoconf" issues a warning as well?

Yes, if there's no case where generating a configure-script under such a
circumstance is useful...

Anyways, I just found the problem.  I originally had a script in top_srcdir
that was used for ac_unique_file, but after it had grown a while I moved
to its own project.  With my setup, I therefore got a _directory_ with that
name in the parent dir for the new project, which must have been the cause
for silincing configure with that respect.

Maybe the ac_unique_file test should ensure that ac_unique_file really is a
file?

  Lars J