RE: Forbidden strings

From: Pavel Roskin
Subject: RE: Forbidden strings
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2000 13:47:08 -0500 (EST)

I'm removing address@hidden from Cc: - they are just victims of our
experiments with Autoconf.

> > Can't you use ASFLAGS?  You don't see C_FLAGS and CPP_FLAGS, etc.
> Just one thing: I can pretty simply chaneg to ASFLAGS... after convincing
> all my users/customers they also have to change their (potentially hundred)
> makefiles to adapt to my use of autoconf for some packages ?-(

Very good point.

How about adding an option to autoconf - strictness when checking for
unexpanded macros?

The testsuite should be very strict while for normal users only A[CM]_
will be forbidden.

Autoconf could also check configure with "sh -n" - it may be more
effective than scanning for macros, although some constructs will not be

Pavel Roskin