AC_PROG_F77

From: Paul Martinolich
Subject: AC_PROG_F77
Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2000 16:10:41 -0600

I vote that _AC_LANG_COMPILER_GNU be removed from AC_PROG_F77 as there
is no way to distinguish the compiler purely by the language, unless
the G77 people add something.

The pre-processor method will also NOT work for a pre-processing Fortran
compiler only because its a free for all.  The GNU Fortran 77 uses .f,
.for, .FOR for source code that is not to be pre-processed and .F, .fpp,
.FPP for source code that is to be preprocessed.  I am fairly sure that
is the same way the SUN compilers work.  My Absoft compiler uses .f and
.for for non-preprocessed and .F and .FOR for preprocessed!  The SGI
f77 and f90 compilers will preprocess the source with either .f or .F!
Who knows what the Compaq, Portland, and other Fortran compiler venders
have decided.  There is no gentleman's agreement on preprocessing
FORTRAN source.

However, the AC_PROG_F77_GNU from autoconf 2.14 does work.  Though I
would leave it as a macro outside of AC_PROG_F77 to be used by the
individual user when the choice of a Fortran compiler is needed.  I
could see a whole series of these:   AC_PROG_F77_ABSOFT,
AC_PROG_F77_SGI,
etc.  I, in fact, have one for the Absoft compiler.

Paul

dnl Test whether for Fortran 77 compiler is `g77' (the GNU Fortran 77
dnl Compiler).  This test depends on whether the Fortran 77 compiler can
dnl do CPP pre-processing.
dnl
dnl AC_PROG_F77_GNU()
AC_DEFUN(AC_PROG_F77_GNU,
[AC_CACHE_CHECK(whether we are using GNU Fortran 77, ac_cv_prog_g77,
[cat > conftest.fpp <<EOF
#ifdef __GNUC__
  yes
#endif
EOF
if AC_TRY_COMMAND($F77 -E conftest.fpp) | egrep yes >/dev/null 2>&1;
then
  ac_cv_prog_g77=yes
else
  ac_cv_prog_g77=no
fi])])

--
Paul Martinolich/Software Engr.   e-mail: