configure options

From: Stefan Seefeld
Subject: configure options
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 12:20:21 -0500

Hi,

I'm working on a project with a pretty large (and increasing)
number of configure parameters, so I look for ways to store sets
of parameters externally, such that they be used much like config.cache,
if desired. Since all possible arguments could be known from the macros
used in configure.in, I'm wondering whether some simple tool like autoheader
could not extract them (say, as a triple of {name, default, description})
and store them in an external file which I could inspect and manipulate
prior to invoking configure (for example gui based config tools).

Does anything like that exist or are there plans to add such functionality ?

Regards,        Stefan

PS: I admitt that this is non trivial, at least if it is to be done 'correctly',
    i.e. with all the relations (constraints) between parametes exposed...

Stefan Seefeld
Departement de Physique
Universite de Montreal
email: address@hidden