Re: OpenBSD 2.7

From: Pavel Roskin
Subject: Re: OpenBSD 2.7
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2000 10:20:22 -0500 (EST)

Hello, Akim!

> Pavel> So let's remove the explicit rule. It's only helpful to
> Pavel> maintainers, but they are supposed to clean up the working
> Pavel> directory from time to time.
>
> Grmph.  I wish Automake could expand this by itself.

Actually, it should. The scripts are created by config.status, hence they
depend on config.status. This rule would be sufficient, since
config.status is already rebuilt whenever configure.in is touched.

In general, Automake should add a dependency on config.status for every
file created by it.

It's easy to blame Automake, however, it's unclear whether Automake will
be able to generate something better than what we have now. We have a
suffix rule and we know that it will have no effect for BSD make when an
explicit rule is present.

This means that Automake will have to generate explicit rules for every
script.

In fact, we can "generate" them right now by hand.

Regards,
Pavel Roskin