Re: OBJ and EXE and cross-compilation (Was: AC_OBJEXT again)

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: OBJ and EXE and cross-compilation (Was: AC_OBJEXT again)
Date: 13 Dec 2000 13:43:00 +0100

Mo> But would this still work if I wanted to compile with the mingw
Mo> compiler under Cygwin? The mingw native compiler is also named
Mo> gcc, so what --host triple would I need to pass to the configure
Mo> script? It seems like I would need to pass something for the
Mo> --host argument, otherwise the configure script would not think it
Mo> was a cross compile. Is this even a cross compile? Well sort
Mo> of. (ugh)

The name of the C compiler is tied to $host.  Sure it tries $host-gcc
etc., but you can set $host on the one hand, and CC on the other.  So
I don't think there are any problems here.

Mo> If I did not pass a host triple, would the configure script detect
Mo> Cygwin even though CC was set to the mingw compiler? That seems
Mo> like the logical thing to do if we only use uname. Problem is, if
Mo> configure sets a bunch of Cygwin #defines and then tries to exec
Mo> the mingw compiler, all hell will break loose.

As long as $host != $build, there is cross compilation.  We no longer
depend upon the compiler to test cross compilation situations.