Re: Your 2000-01-10 change CVS src/Makefile.am

From: Derek R. Price
Subject: Re: Your 2000-01-10 change CVS src/Makefile.am
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 01:08:58 -0500

Raja R Harinath wrote:

> There's no 'setgid' bit on the /tmp directory.  Does BSD still exhibit
> 'setgid' behaviour?

To back up what Eric Siegerman said, I believe setgid behavior is the
(unavoidable?) default on BSD systems, but I just started playing with them so
don't ask me to start quoting version numbers.  :)

> I don't thing the sticky tag changes 'setgid'
> behaviour of a directory.

Huh?

>   * What are the permissions on /tmp/myfile?

> rm /tmp/myfile
rm: /tmp/myfile: No such file or directory
> touch /tmp/myfile
> ls -l /tmp/myfile
-rw-r--r--  1 cvstest  wheel  0 Jan 20 19:57 /tmp/myfile

Wheel is gid 0: my NFS server's root group id.

>   * Can you create files in the your home directory?

Yes:

> cd
> rm myfile
rm: myfile: No such file or directory
> touch myfile
> ls -l myfile
-rw-r--r--  1 cvstest  cvstest  0 Jan 21 01:00 myfile

>   * Are you in, or did you change with newgrp(1) to, group 'wheel'?

I am not in it and I have never, ever, in my entire life, used the newgrp
command:

> id
uid=506(cvstest) gid=506(cvstest) groups=506(cvstest)

> Still, I'm starting to agree with you that cp/rm makes more sense than
> mv to move files across mount points, what with the way file ownership
> and NFS interact.

:)

Derek

--
Derek Price                      CVS Solutions Architect ( http://CVSHome.org )
mailto:address@hidden     OpenAvenue ( http://OpenAvenue.com )
I will not do anything bad ever again.
I will not do anything bad ever again...

          - Bart Simpson on chalkboard, _The Simpsons_