Re: sh problems

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: sh problems
Date: 29 Jan 2001 15:07:48 +0100

>>>>> "Assar" == Assar Westerlund <address@hidden> writes:

Assar> A more serious problem is in AS_MKDIR_P.  It sets IFS to '\\/'
Assar> and it seems that some sh:s (which are probably really ksh:s)
Assar> will use the first character (backslash) when joining the
Assar> components in "$@" and then re-interpret (!) the backslash
Assar> escapes, so you can end up with backspace and other strange
Assar> characters.  And you will end up with directories called
Assar> foo\bar and foo?az and others.  Changing the order of the
Assar> separators seems to fix it for me and I don't see that it
Assar> should have any negatives effects.  A patch and changelog
Assar> entries for both of these appear below.

Wow, nice tracking!  Thanks a lot for the work you do on improving
portability issues etc.  Please, don't hesitate commenting the code,
or documenting those shell `features' just as you do in your mail :)

        Akim