Re: Latest CVS - possible serious bug using it in UnixWare 7.1.1

From: Matt Schalit
Subject: Re: Latest CVS - possible serious bug using it in UnixWare 7.1.1
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 12:55:12 -0800

Akim Demaille wrote:

> | /* Define if you have the <iconv.h> header file. */
> | #undef HAVE_ICONV_H"
> | /usr/local/bin/m4: configure.in: 462: ERROR: Recursion limit of 250
> exceeded, use -L<N> to change it
> | ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
> |

> | The error refers to      gcc/gcc/configure.in
>
> Yeah, line 462.  Shrink configure.in, and show us the guilty line.

Thank you for the rapid reply and your suggestions, Akim.

The error was not caused by autoconf as I originally thought.
So there was no need to follow your suggestion.  Rather I
fixed my environment and rebuilt CVS autoconf.

>From my analysis, it appears that the problem was that, when
building CVS autoconf, I had made a symink from /usr/bin/m4 to
/usr/local/bin/m4 to get around configure's finding /usr/bin/m4 and
error'ing because that wasn't gnu-m4.

Normally on SCO Uw7.x.x,   /usr/bin/m4  -->  /usr/ccs/bin/m4

My screwed up solution to autconf's configure failure:
                          /usr/bin/m4   -->  /usr/local/bin/m4

That was a very, very wrong thing to do, and I deeply regret
wasting your time with this issue.

The correct solution is to have these symlinks:
                           /usr/bin/m4  -->  /usr/ccs/bin/m4
                    /usr/local/bin/gm4  -->  /usr/local/bin/m4

I would ask, though, that the dev team consider having the autconf
configure script test for /usr/local/bin/m4 if it finds /usr/bin/m4
to be the wrong one, because gm4 is not created automatically.  Thanks.

My path, btw was this:
PATH=/sbin:/usr/sbin:/etc:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/ccs/bin:/usr/local/kde/bin:/usr/X/bin

Regards,
Matthew