RE: autoconf 2.49c fails if '.' is in PATH

From: Tim Van Holder
Subject: RE: autoconf 2.49c fails if '.' is in PATH
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 21:33:37 +0100

> After a look through the sources it seems that
> AS_EXECUTABLE_P should use both "test -f" and
> "test -x" on systems that support it, and "test -f"
> otherwise (DOS, Win, ...)
Yes and no. The reason we try to use 'test -x' is so that
'test -x foo' will pick up foo.exe. I had not thought of
this finding directories (then again, I don't have . in my
path). I agree this is a serious problem; even with no '.'
in the PATH, someone could have a directory 'gcc' on the
path somewhere, so gcc wouldn't be found.
I'll need to think long and hard to come up with a portable
way to have this test work on DOS without breaking on
Unices... *sigh*