hardcoded prefix in aclocal

From: Brian Cameron
Subject: hardcoded prefix in aclocal
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2001 15:36:35 +0000 (GMT)

Autoconf team:

I notice that the bin/aclocal script has the following two lines:

$prefix = "/hardcoded/install/directory";
$acdir = "${prefix}/share/aclocal";

The "$acdir" is used to find config files that may be installed by
other packages.

This creates a problem in our environment...

We have each package (autoconf, gettext, and libtool) are installed
in each directory.  Then we are using a program that makes a single
directory tree with symbolic links to the various installed programs.

So our system looks like this

   automake is installed in /install/automake
   gettext  is installed in /install/gettext
   libtool  is installed in /install/libtool

   We create a /usr/local directory tree which contains symbolic links
   to each of the files in the above three packages.

   Therefore:

   /usr/local/share/aclocal/termios.m4 points to
      /install/automake/share/aclocal/termios.m4
   /usr/local/share/aclocal/progtest.m4 points to
      /install/gettext/share/aclocal/termois.m4
   /usr/local/bin/aclocal points to /install/automake/bin/aclocal
   etc...

   The problem is that when we run /usr/local/bin/aclocal it only finds
   the m4 files in the /install/automake/share/aclocal directory and
   doesn't look in the /usr/local/share/aclocal directory, which would
   make the most sense.

Therefore, could aclocal be updated so that it uses the perl variable
"$0" which will contain the path where the aclocal script was executed,
and find the "share/aclocal" directory with a relative path (simply
../share/aclocal") rather than using $prefix.