Re: [patch] remove config.status race condition

From: Pavel Roskin
Subject: Re: [patch] remove config.status race condition
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 20:47:54 -0500 (EST)

Hello, Lars!

> This patch removes a race condition in config.status.

Neighter configure nor config.status should be run in the same time in the
same directory. Please explain why you have to.

> The problem is resolved by moving to a temporary directory during the
> problematic tests.  I don't really think config.status should contain
> "configure tests" at all, but I don't have intimate knowledge on why the
> tests are run in config.status and not just precomputed by configure,
> so I left them in.

It certainly should not contain any tests that it doesn't need.
_AS_LN_S_PREPARE and _AS_TEST_PREPARE are not used, at least in the
config.status created by Autoconf for itself.

The tests are run in config.status because there is a small probability
that configure and config.status will be run by different shells. If we
stop supporting it, it will be possible to hardcode as_expr, as_unset etc
into config.status,

In this case it's easy to support weird things when you stop supporting
other weird things (I mean, reentrancy vs. different shell). But you'll
have to persuade me that your weird thing is more important :-)

Regards,
Pavel Roskin