Re: AC_CANONICAL_*

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: AC_CANONICAL_*
Date: 19 Feb 2001 12:19:30 +0100

Pavel Roskin <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello, Derek!
>
> On Fri, 9 Feb 2001, Derek R. Price wrote:
>
> > Why do the AC_CANONICAL_* functions no longer set *_alias?  There's a
>
> "cvs annotate" and "cvs log" are your friends. Akim did it. But the log
> message is silent about "FIXME". Akim?

There is no point in using the cache variable, host_alias is defined
by --host, and most remain defined this way.  The only question is wrt
to the missing AC_SUBST.  I'd say, given that these guys are valid for
all the configures, that it should be done in AC_INIT with SHELL and
so on.

So yes, remove the /dnl.*/.

In a perfect world, host_alias should be `host', and `host' should be
`canonicalized_host' or something.  But bugward compatibility prevents
the right match between name and value of $build, $host etc.