Re: autoconf test ': >emtpy' problem under Ultrix

From: Jim Meyering
Subject: Re: autoconf test ': >emtpy' problem under Ultrix
Date: 19 Mar 2001 10:52:15 +0100

Harlan Stenn <address@hidden> wrote:
| I haven't seen any response to this report yet.

I'm beginning to think that Ultrix's /bin/sh is so bad that polluting,
er... changing autoconf to accommodate is may not be worthwhile.
Do any of you have an idea of how big the Ultrix-using community is?

| Is there a good reason the "empty" file can't be done using:
|
|  rm -f empty && touch empty      (just to be thorough)

I vaguely recall that we couldn't depend on touch.
However, it *is* in the list of programs mentioned in
standards.info's `Utilities in Makefiles' section.

| or
|
|  cp /dev/null empty

Not everyone has a /dev/null.