Re: Solution for building perl modules

From: Tim Van Holder
Subject: Re: Solution for building perl modules
Date: 27 Mar 2001 09:05:41 +0200

On 26 Mar 2001 15:24:16 -0700, Jeremy Slade wrote:
> .made_mode = MyMod.C Makefile.perl
>         $(MAKE) -fMakefile.perl
>         touch $@

Minor portability issue: try to avoid names starting with leading dots.
If your code is supposed to never run on DOS, this doesn't matter that
much though.

> --- src/perl/Makefile.PL.in -----------------------
> use ExtUtils::MakeMaker;
> WriteMakefile ( NAME => 'MyMod',
>                 DEFINE => '@DEFS@',
>                 INC => 'address@hidden@/src/lib @CPPFLAGS@',
>                 LIBS => 'address@hidden@/src/lib -lMyAPI_PIC ',
>                 INSTALLDIRS => 'perl' );

One major flaw here is that you can't be sure that none of the
AC_SUBST'ed
variables contain single quotes.  Not sure how you'd handle that cleanly
though.  Perhaps you could use sed to escape them and then AC_SUBST
the results as DEFS_PL, top_srcdir_pl and CPPFLAGS_PL?

> This method isn't foolproof, super robust.  For building the perl
> extension, most of the 'configuration' comes from the perl Config.pm,
> so whatever is configured in the various other Makefiles is not
> reflected in the Makefile.perl.  Perhaps that's not an issue -- what
> do the experts think?

Agreed - generally Perl is supposed to know best. (Note: just because I
am responding
to this question does not mean I consider myself an expert - far from
it).