Re: [patch] improved version information

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: [patch] improved version information
Date: 04 Apr 2001 18:09:25 +0200

>>>>> "Lars" == Lars J Aas <address@hidden> writes:

Lars> Sure.  Take into account that those are programs you *install*
Lars> on a system!

It makes no difference to me, sorry.  It's a program, that's all.

Lars> It's not obvious which package they come from when they are
Lars> installed.  You should never actually need to find out which
Lars> package a configure script comes from, because it should be
Lars> obvious from the directory it lies in - the source distribution
Lars> directory for the package.  If you find a "configure" program in
Lars> your system $PATH, it's not a configure script.

If you recall, there was once someone who complained about the
behavior of a configure, and posted a configure.in of another
package.  Try finding `mutt' in the archive, you should find it.

Lars> Also, you can expect two "a2ps" programs from different packages
Lars> to be "interchangable" in a sense.  You can not interchange
Lars> configure from fileutils with configure from textutils - they
Lars> are completely different programs, hence one is now named
Lars> "fileutils configure" and the other is named "textutils
Lars> configure".

I fail to understand why this would imply we should departure from
conventions.  This is so unimportant that I can't understand why
amongst all the possible solutions, the standard one should not be
used.