AC_C_STRINGIZE versus AC_PROG_CC_STDC

From: Kevin Ryde
Subject: AC_C_STRINGIZE versus AC_PROG_CC_STDC
Date: 30 Apr 2001 11:26:30 +1000

I noticed AC_C_STRINGIZE doesn't force itself to be after
AC_PROG_CC_STDC, and I think this can lead to wrong results when "cc
-E" is used for preprocessing and AC_PROG_CC_STDC mungs $CC into ansi
mode, if something like the following is accidentally written.

        AC_PROG_CC
        AC_C_STRINGIZE
        AC_PROG_CC_STDC

Perhaps AC_PROG_CC_STDC should have an AC_BEFORE([AC_C_STRINGIZE]), at
least until the FIXME there about AC_PROG_CPP is resolved.

Alternately, it might be nice to have an AC_AFTER or some such that
would prepend an AC_BEFORE to its prerequisite.  It'd be sort of an
optional AC_REQUIRE.  AC_C_INLINE or AC_C_STRINGIZE could then express
that if AC_PROG_CC_STDC is used it must come before, but isn't
required as such.