Re: how to use libraries in /usr/local

From: Peter Eisentraut
Subject: Re: how to use libraries in /usr/local
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 17:30:57 +0200 (CEST)

Russ Allbery writes:

> What I'd love to see is a way to pass the configure script a whole list of
> directories into which software may be installed, not just /usr/local and
> /usr/pubsw but also /usr/pubsw/apps/db3 and /usr/pubsw/apps/openssl and
> other directories that have a lib and include structure, and then have
> configure check those directories for needed libraries, add the right -I
> and -L flags, add the right -R or -Wl,-rpath or whatever flags to link
> against shared libraries, and otherwise take care of all the mechanics
> that I've seen dealt with in more --with-foo=PATH configure.in fragments
> using more different techniques (many wrong in common situations) than I'd
> care to remember.

In PostgreSQL, we have --with-includes=PATH and --with-libraries=PATH,
which do for us what we want.  I agree that something like that needs to
be in Autoconf.  There are already --x-includes and --x-libraries, but it
needs to be extended.

--
Peter Eisentraut   address@hidden   http://funkturm.homeip.net/~peter